Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Framework

For the past eight weeks of my summer I've been working for a PI( no, not a private investigator, a principal investigator of medical research) and she is the farthest thing from what I imagined she would be when I first asked her about the position. In fact when I saw her name I didn't know whether she was male or female so I googled it and found her facebook account, that was the moment I realized I wasn't dealing with a quiet 50 year old woman who would give me a lecture about women in science, I mean she had to be young enough to not feel strange with having a facebook right? Still I wasn't ready for her. It turned out she was about 32 with a two year old son named Pierre(wtf?), had red streaks in her hair, and was apparently raised by sailors, I never would have guessed it but that combination makes the best type of boss!

In order for you to get the most out these stories I guess I should try and paint a picture of how the hierarchy works(well at least as it pertains to me):

-1st there is my boss who signs her emails M so that's who she'll be
-2nd is SB who is not really in charge of me but has worked in the clinic doing the same thing all year
-3rd ME! I'm like M's assistant I work and manage of the paperwork and out sourced workers(nurses, database ppl, and DNA extractors)
Now there are a host of other ppl who we have to work with to get things done, but the most important who I forgot to mention are the doctors who's patients we're enrolling as subjects in our studies.

I just hope you can enjoy the drama that is my life in this hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment